WeatherShield's Key Features and Benefits
- Dramatic Rain Dispersion - Fabric sheds water as soon as it hits the cover.
- Superior Dry Time - Because the fabric sheds moisture, just shake the cover and it dries in minutes (HD fabric is heavier and requires additional drying time).
- Breathable - Allows any heat, moisture or condensation under the cover to easily escape.
- UV Resistant - Special additives to the encapsulation formula reduce fabric UV degradation.
- Superior Paint Finish Protection - Silicone polymers used in the encapsulation formula help create a silky-smooth finish that's even less abrasive than flannel (HD uses heavier denier thread which is not as smooth).
- Packs Small - Cover packs into roughly 1/3 the volume of multi-layer fabric covers (HD covers are bulkier).
- Easy Care - Wash and dry at home... most mid-size covers will fit in home washers and dryers - and, unlike non-woven materials, they can be thrown in a dryer.
- Durable Fade-Resistant Base Fabrics - Premium solution-dye fibers mean the covers resist fading and hold their color longer.
Over 20 years ago Covercraft partnered with Nextec Applications, Inc., a technology leader that pioneered a new process for creating performance fabrics used primarily in the outdoor clothing industry. By using precise polymer placement and special chemistries, they were able to place protective finishes inside the fabric, encapsulating the actual woven fibers to transform ordinary fabric into extra-ordinary! The encapsulation processes, methods and equipment are protected by more than 51 patents issued or pending in the U.S. and internationally.
Working with Nextec's extensive R&D resources Covercraft created what is considered the "perfect" fabric for outdoor or indoor vehicle protection.
WeatherShield® HP (for "high performance") is manufactured with solution-dye fibers which makes fabrics more fade resistant and is currently one of the most ecologically responsible ways to produce fabric. Solution-dye isn't really a dye process, the color pigments are mixed into the compound that is extruded as thread. This puts the color all the way through each fiber (fade resistant) and saves 1,000 gallons of water for every 1,000 yards of fabric produced since we don’t have to surface dye the fabric!
To construct this amazing fabric, prefinishing chemistries are applied to the solution-dye polyester fabric to prep it for the encapsulation process. Nextec proprietary equipment then applies a viscous (gooey) patented mixture of silicon-based polymers onto the fabric. Energy (heat and pressure) is applied to the polymers, working them inside the fabric and wrapping the individual fade resistant fibers. All but the smallest spaces are filled and the micro holes that remain allow the fabric to "breathe" so any moisture or heat under the cover can easily escape. Specially designed ovens cure the polymers to a solid state and the fabric is ready to make into covers.
No microfibers, no laminates, no surface coatings... EPIC® by Nextec's encapsulation process delivers all weather protection, compact packability, easy care, and a soft-to-paint touch without sacrificing breathability.
WeatherShield is not waterproof, but if kept clean it will shed most water and help prevent dust, dirt, bird droppings and tree sap from reaching the vehicle surface. The breathable properties of the fabric assure that any heat, moisture or condensation under the cover can easily escape.
The best fitting, weather resistant and durable cover I've ever had.
Looks great, sheds water great.
Best car cover I have ever owned.
Excellent car cover, very satisfied.
Superior quality and workmanship.